The Upper East Side Walking Tour # 1
Architecture -- History -- Interesting Pictures and Stories
A Walking Tour of The Upper East Side's Past and Present
This walking tour is about 3 hours long and features the architecture and history of a section of the Upper East Side.
The tour includes interesting pictures and stories that will help join us with the neighborhood's past.
We will walk in part of the "Upper East Side Historic District" and through the "Treadwell Farm Historic District".
Each participant Is given an itinerary with 31 stops that include 16 New York City Landmarks and 11 National Landmarks.
Each stop is
Some of This Tours Highlights are:
- Christ Church, designed to look much older than it is.
- Edward Durell Stone redesigned this brownstone but sometimes it changes back
- Sara D. Roosevelt Memorial House (Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt)
- originally: The Barbizon Hotel, "The Bell Jar" - women only
- originally: Asia House designed by Philip Johnson
- Trinity Baptist Church, its Swedish roots are expressed in its architecture
- originally: The Pepsi Cola Bldg, a early example of Modern (the International style) architecture on Park Ave.
- Thomas R. Howell Mansion
- Andy Warhol lived here
- Lillian Hellman lived here
- originally: The Henry O. Havenmeyer Stable & Coach House now a garage
- The Seventh Regiment New York National Guard Armory
- The Colony Club
- The Cosmopolitan Club
- The Union Club
- A Row Of Four Park Ave. Landmark Mansions
- St. Vincent Ferrer Complex
- Parge House
- Park East Synagogue
- Barbara Rutherford Hatch House, Vanderbilts, Gypsy Rose Lee (a mystry) and more
- Milan House Apts.
- Richard Nixon former president of the U. S. lived here
- Six Buildings Originally Stables And Carriage Houses
- The studio where Mark Rothko worked, lived and comitted suicide
You Will Find Out About:
- The Railroad tracks on Park Avenue (The Avenue of Death)
- Lincoln Ellsworth and the South Pole
- Richard Nixon - Jimmey Walker -Tallulah Bankhead - Gypsy Rose Lee - Wila
Cather - Montgomery Cliff
Lillian Hellman - Walter Lippman - The Third Avenue Car
Barn and much more
Meet At: the Southwest corner of East 58 St. & Park Avenue
N & R to 5 Ave or #4 #5 #6 to E. 59 St./Lexington Ave.or E & F to 5
Escorted by Alfred Pommer an
informative native New Yorker, a college graduate and a Licensed New York City Guide,
who has spent over 20 years researching, creating, and guiding walking tours in Manhattan's many diverse neighborhoods.
Interested in a Private Walking Tour" ?
Call: (212) 979-2388 for details www.nycwalk.com
Or : Click Here for advance ticket sales